Tuesday, June 09, 2009

More Pictures of Dorothy Parker Penguin

Jeff and I dropped off the penguin this afternoon, and it felt great to have the project complete and the send her into the world. Please excuse the rough quality of these pictures. I took them in a hurry at Jeff's shop before delivering the black and white bird.

Although the design I came up with is simple and clean, it took quite a long time to accomplish the effect.

Of course, I had to make her a little patent leather purse to complete the look. (Here's a pic I found on Flickr that shows a bunch of penguins - see if you can find my bird.)

Since I'm a fabric girl, I had to figure out a way to use cloth, while making it rain, sun, and wind-proof. (The penguins will be outside for about a month. The white chest of the penguin is layered in ivory lace, while the body is black polka dot chiffon.

Jeff built a maple base which I decoupaged with sewing pattern paper. You can't quite see the pearlized finish on the pink base in the photo, but it shimmers in person.

Thank you Jeff for helping me with priming, finishing, and designing this penguin. I am a lucky girl to be married to a guy who thinks it's perfectly normal to pull a near all-nighter adhering squares of bias cut chiffon to a plastic toy.

3 comments:

Paula O said...

The purse tops it off. Perfect, Laura.

susandennis said...

Would you please link to a schedule of where your penguin and the others will be on display? If you have or run across one? I can't seem to find anything but a vague reference to 'early June'. I'd love to see them all.

Laura Bee said...

Thanks for asking Susan! There is a kick off event this Friday June 12th at the space needle.

Then they will distribute the penguins around the neighborhoods early next week. I don't have any further information yet.

I'll keep you posted right here on the blog.