Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Adventures of Grandma Doris

The year before I was born, my Grandma Doris and Grandpa Arthur visited St. Lucia. Above is a photo that Grandma sent me last month when I emailed to ask her a little more about the history of this dress. Always one to pare down and stay organized (I didn't inherit this gene), Grandma sent me the dress a few years back thinking that I could do something with the material.

Doris and Arthur Dwyer circa 1970. Aren't they a dapper couple?

As Mother's Day is close by, I've been thinking about those summer visits to grandma's place in Indiana. On those trips we visited the Children's Museum, attended the Pan Am games, and played with neighbor kids in the back yard. Once Grandma Doris helped me make an elastic-waist skirt with kelly green whales scattered all over the navy fabric. That was one of my first sewing projects.

Here's another custom bag made from the St. Lucia dress from Grandma's trip. I hope that this bag accompanies its owner on surprising, romantic adventures.

Happy Mother's Day week to everyone!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Karen - the proud owner of the Amanda bag made out of this fabric - will LOVE this chunk of history. Grandma Doris can rest assured that a bit of her dress went on to someone who will treasure it.
~A