Wednesday, April 26, 2006

She's a Keeper



One question that people often ask is if I have a huge collection of handbags. I think they picture a huge wall of purses that I can choose from every day and change frequently like shoes. Another version of this question is, "Do you ever make something that you just have to keep for yourself."

My rather disappointing answer is that I do have a bunch of bags, but they are usually experiments that I'm testing before I sell them. Since I make all of the patterns from scratch, I often play the mad scientist with structure. I'll change materials, or hardware, add a zipper here, change a closure there. So I like to take these experimental bags for a test drive - to really throw them around - before I launch the pattern into production.

The new bag above is the Amy sample that's hanging in the store. I made a coordinating wristlet for fun. These are definite Laura colors - green, rust brown, etc, so I'm tempted to keep her. But I'd rather send her out into the world on a fresh new shoulder to be filled with a wallet and keys, and other stuff that's not mine.

No comments: