Sunday, August 03, 2008

Odysseus Returns Home


Yesterday I told you about finding this little turtle and taking him to P.A.W.S. The naturalist told us he was a healthy turtle, and asked us if we would be willing to set him free in a small lake a couple of miles from where I found him.

Jeff, Otis, Odysseus and I hiked into a beautiful woodland park, headed downhill, and found this peaceful lake. I didn't bring my still camera, but I did have my Flip in my bag so I made this short video of setting him free.

There were a few young kids playing on the beach so we showed them the turtle and told them his story. (The heavy breathing you may hear is Otis' panting from the hike.)

The music is from Aimee Mann's most recent album, which is lovely.

5 comments:

Susannah Buzard, M.A. said...

This totally just made me cry. Maybe it was the Aimee Mann music. Either way, Odysseus was lucky to cross paths with Laura Bee. Cheers to you for taking the time to rescue and return him.

ps. His markings are incredibly artistic! He's lucky you only use animal-free materials because his tummy would make a beautiful purse. Maybe you could find fabric that could pay homage to him and name it Odysseus as well.

Sandi Heinrich said...

SuzyBuzz isn't the only one with tears in her eyes watching this! I'm such a sucker for a good animal rescue story! Here's my latest favorite:
http://www.owenandmzee.com/omweb/

daisymayrobin said...

Great story! Loved watching Odysseus swim into the lake with such ease. And that Aimee Mann knows how to pull at the heart strings!

laurie said...

Whoa! Very cool Laura. The photos you posted earlier are very neat too. I love that Odysseus' legs are blurred they're moving so fast! haha! He's just might be the fastest turtle I've ever seen (and the luckiest!).

Laurie Cinotto said...

can someone please hand me a tissue?? !!