Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On Red Dots and Denim

Recently a customer brought us this terrific starched red cotton fabric. She told me that a friend brought it back from a trip to South Africa. Our customer wanted us to use the special yardage to make book bags for two lucky little girls' birthdays.

We decided to pair the red print with a dark denim for the handles and bottom, and we embellished each bag with oversized red rick rack. Just for fun, we lined one bag lime green, and the other with light teal.

As I made these bags, I had nostalgic thoughts of being a kid and reading little white books by Beatrix Potter. The red and denim combination reminded me of my childhood in the 1970s in a funny way.

Yesterday I was cleaning out a stack of papers on my desk and I ran across this photo. It's a picture of me, circa and 1973-4. And there's that fabric combination. Isn't it funny how the textiles of our youth stick with us for a lifetime?

No comments: