Monday, October 29, 2007

Busy Bees

Have you heard about this missing bees? We watched the Nature episode last night that told the story about bees that are missing all over the world. Having grown up in cities, I honestly didn't know that huge colonies of bees are trucked all over the country to pollinate farms. Without these bees, we would have no orange juice, no apple pie, no blueberry muffins.

Bees have long been symbols of hard work, team effort, and accomplishment. They remind us of the best human qualities.

When I named the business Laura Bee Designs, I liked the initial 'B', but I thought it looked better spelled out. I wasn't thinking about the insect really. But watching the stories about the millions of bees that provide my favorite fruits and vegetables gives the name more meaning for me.

Recently a store customer also pointed out the sewing tradition of a Quilting Bee, which is fitting too. (I'd never thought about this reference; thanks customer!) A Bee can be any event where people come together to accomplish a task. What a perfect way to describe all of the work our team is doing to get ready for the holidays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Bee or not to Bee, that is the question. SB the Enlish teacher.

Anonymous said...

The English teacher's finger, not her mind, slipped on the g key.