Friday, January 19, 2007

Northwest's Squarest Deal


"This building used to be a drugstore," a gentleman told me the other day. One of our window washers, he was fastidiously squeegeeing our front door.

"I used to come here a lot in the '50s. It was a malt shop too with a long counter," he told me. "They had one of those record machines that would turn the 45 over automatically."

I have been obsessed with his story ever since. This old building has been through so much in its history. One person told me about a shop that sold antique gumball machines. Many have mentioned the little cafe that was here in the mid 1990s. One of our favorite regulars, Wilma, used to own the building in the 70s and 80s with her husband.

But a drugstore; The quintessential 1950s hangout! That is the coolest thing I've heard so far. How I would love to have a photograph of good ole 6418 20th Ave in those days. I've combed through some online photo archives looking for an image, and I haven't had any luck yet. I did find a few cool things to share with you though.


That's George Bartell, founder of still thriving, locally owned Bartell's Drugs, a Northwest tradition. He's pictured here tacking up a fabulous "Buy American" poster in 1933. Apparently, the newspaper Seattle Post-Intelligencer printed this poster as a tear out.


Here's a jewelry store pictured in 1937. According to the records, this building was about five blocks from the current LBD digs. I love the big sign and great slogan. I think this building may still be standing, although the store has long since closed. I'll take picture of it now if I can track it down.

More historical photos to follow. If you want to do your own searches, visit this website.

No comments: