Friday, July 21, 2006

Project Runway: Episode Deux

Time for our weekly Project Runway review installment! You would think the challenge of designing a Miss Universe Pageant gown for the reigning Miss USA would be interesting enough, but the drama between the designers this week only upped the usual must-see factor. Laura and I have both already re-watched the episode several times on the Bravo re-runs, and we’re happy to say that NBC is picking up the first few episodes of the show to air Monday nights at 8pm PST. Just see if you can resist getting cable tv after that…

For some great behind-the-scenes dish, this is a great week to check out Tim Gunn’s podcast (linked to the previous P.R. blog entry). Apparently, there were juicy details the viewers didn’t get to see! Also, see the winning gown in action at the Miss Universe Pageant, airing this Sunday at 9pm PST on NBC.

What was your favorite garment this week?

Ashley: My fave was Kayne, and I was so glad he won. Talk about making his career! It doesn’t even matter now if he lasts a long time on the show, he’s the designer for Miss USA’s Miss Universe Pageant gown! And think of if she wins…

Laura:
I have to admit that pageants are not my thing, so I’m hardly qualified to analyze this week’s garments. I thought that Laura and Michael’s off white gown was really lovely – clean and fluid. However, it was probably too simple for the pageant world. I certainly think that Kayne and Robert deserved to win. I enjoyed seeing Kayne tweak the clients ‘earth-tones’ request to something a little more showy. That is true designer work – listen to the customer and then insert your own vision to make something surprising and yet familiar.

Who is emerging as your early favorite?
Laura: I have liked both of Uli’s dresses quite a bit. I think she might be a sleeper a la Daniel V. from last season. At this stage of the show, there are so many characters, I don’t feel that we know them very well yet. I’m curious to see more from Robert and Michael especially.

Ashley: I love Kayne, and his partner from this week, Robert Best. I have to give Laura all the credit there, she has been into the two of them since the Road to the Runway special! But I also still really like Michael, the designer from Atlanta. I’m excited to see what he will do next.

Angela vs. Vincent: Who’s side are you on?
Ashley: I really think I dislike them both equally, although I was totally disgusted by Angela’s unprofessional shredding of Vincent in front of the judges. At least he toned down his anger when speaking to them. Tim Gunn’s extra information on the subject on his podcast is WELL worth listening to – there was a lot more going on we didn’t see!

Laura:
They are both total lunatics. I second Ashley’s pitch that you listed to Tim Gunn’s podcast on the subject. The producers had to actually remove Tim from the work room because he was so frustrated with Vincent. Since Tim is always right, I think I have to side with Angela on this one.

What was your favorite moment from this week’s show?

Ashley: It’s not really a happy moment since he ended up being ‘out’, but I really liked hearing Malan’s back story and getting to know him a little more. By the time the show ended I was really sad to see him go! Laura and I have discussed our belated new-found love for him many times since the show aired. He was on the Today show though yesterday and he seems to be doing well and has several high-profile clients, so he wasn’t daunted by his dismissal from the show. Yay!

Laura: I agree with Ashley. Malan seemed like an arrogant jerk early on. But on this show, I realized that he is just one of those guys who probably had a rough go of it in his early school years. He probably listened to a lot of The Smiths in his room while he sewed incredibly detailed garments. He probably didn’t fit in. I wish we had the chance to see more from him; he seemed really talented and skilled to me. I have to give props to those who are true to themselves, weirdness and all. Austin Scarlett was the ground breaker in this area.

No comments: