Friday, July 14, 2006

Make it work!


We are proudly addicted to Project Runway. Have you seen the reality show on Bravo? Season Three just started on Wednesday night, so Ashley and I have a renewed obsession with mentor Tim Gunn and the creative process showcased on PR. (Of course we don’t mind the drama either.)

Each week we’re going to add our own comments to the Project Runway blog world. If you’re looking for more check out:

Tim Gunn’s podcast
Blogging Project Runway
Offical Project Runway Website

What do you love about this show?
Laura: I love the show because, despite all of the drama, it is really about the creative process. I love the episode structure – surprise challenge, quick design brainstorm, shop for materials, sew, and then - ta da - runway show. It’s endlessly entertaining to see how several people respond to the same design challenge.

Ashley: Well… everything! What I DON’T love is this new situation of Bravo using the last commercial break to post three choices for cell phone users to vote on to decide who will get kicked off. They phrase it as “which of these bottom three will be out?” Horrible! I don’t want to know who’s in the bottom three, that’s the fun of the show!

What’s your favorite moment from a past season?
Ashley: I really loved the Postal Service episode from Season 1. The designers had to combine fashion and function, while working within some pretty set-in-stone parameters of color, tradition, and modesty. Plus Austin Scarlett got to model for Jay, and who didn’t love seeing him in his element!

Laura: Santino’s impersonation of Tim Gunn is up there at the top of a long list of favorites. “Where’s Andre?”

Ashley: Oh man, that’s a good one. I second that! No one can say “Red Lobster” like “Tim”.

Which designers intrigue you on the new season?

Ashley: It’s hard to narrow it down at this point, they’re all such characters! I’m interested in the woman from Ohio and the guy from Atlanta, just because they seem to have such niche styles. I also am intrigued by the architect since she seems to have a flair for the dramatic.

Laura: My favorites are Robert Best, the Barbie clothing designer because he’s talented and funny, and I also am curious so see what Kayne, the prom and pagent dress designer will do for the challenges that don’t involve sparkle.


What was your favorite garment in the recent episode? Least favorite?

Ashley: I l.o.v.e.d. the coffee filter dress! Maybe it was too simple of a shape for the judges or something, but I thought it was the perfect example of beauty and innovation. My least favorite was Vincent’s hideous gray shift with the crazy basket hat. It was ill-fitting and, like Nina, all I could look at was that hat! I did love that he told the judges it was an afterthought though, after all the footage was shown of him obsessing over the “hat”. Hilarious.

Laura: I agree, the coffee filter dress was sadly overlooked by the judges. I liked Uli (the German’s) white halter dress with citrus green draped beads, and Robert Best’s built in jewelry with red bow dress. I thought that the judges over-rated the winning navy blue dress. The challenge was about innovation, so using a bedsheet to make a dress was not as creative as so many of the other garments. Plus, that guy is so high on himself that he gets on my nerves.

Do you have a favorite moment from the episode?

Ashley: Other than every minute of Tim Gunn airtime? The group coming back to their ravaged apartment.

Laura: I loved the Road to Runway special that showed all of the crazy wanna-be designers, as well as the old footage of favorites from other seasons. (I still love Jay McCarroll.)

Tell us what you think!
Post your own comments here. We want to know who you love, and who you love to hate!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The PERFECT picture. How I love him.

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?
v=XWcOJzT-BEI&search=tim%20gunn

-suzybuzz

Anonymous said...

that faux british accent dude epitomizes all that is loathed of the harvard square area. i can't stand him. he definitely needs a bitch slap, as Tim Gunn said.

i can see you liking jay mccarroll, Wig, he's very goofy and Seattle-esque. not sure he has much of a head for business, though. you should train him.

Anonymous said...

For a moment, I thought the fake-british accent guy was the lead singer from Spandau Ballet. "Hello? The 80s called and they want you back."

Of course Tim Gunn is the best part of the show... and I can't wait to see what the hip-hop designer will come up with and how Tim will critique his work, since he seems to have a "hoochie" sense of style. I think the blue-sheet dress guy will get boring quick, and I also can't wait to see what the hip, red-headed mother of five will design, too!