Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Brief History



The other day I noticed that Ashley had posted these tags on our shop bulletin board in chronological order. The top tag is the silkscreened style that I used when I first started the business. I used my Print Gocco machine to screen the logo onto quilting cotton, fused the tags to the lining of each bag, and then machine applique stitched around the tag. These were circa 2000-2, and I made them in pink, mint, and blue.

In 2002, when I opened the store, I decided to splurge by upgrading the tags and to order custom woven tags to match the ceiling of the shop - lipstick pink. At the time ordering 1000 (the vendor minimum) seemed insane and I thought they would last forever. The light pink tag went into circulation around 2004, and graced our first mini wallets an additional new styles. This time I ordered 2000 tags!

Some time last year I ordered the green and brown tags - one of my favorites because I adore the color combination. Recently we started using the light blue. We still have some green left that we use when the colors are just right. Each tag is still sewn on painstakingly with the applique stitch. Each tag represents an little mini era in our growth.

No comments: