Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Design Inspiration: 1940's Teatowel

One of the least expensive items to buy at most thrift shops and antique stores are vintage linens. I bought this pretty blue tea towel in Bellingham for three dollars.

It caught my eye for several reasons. First, the lovely linen is soft and nubby with wear. I love the flower illustrations, and especially the little bumblebees.

I also think the color palette is unique and lovely. Here are four colors I extracted from the my photo using the eyedropper tool in Photoshop Elements. I pulled one blue from the highlighted areas of the image and another from the shadows.

You can use this technique, or my more low-fi version, to put together a color palette to use to decorate a room, some cupcakes, or anything else that needs a color pick-me-up.

No comments: